August 29, 2010

I have a loathing for serious people.

.



I write because I have certain things to say about this world, its corruption, and about the simpletons; and also I have to narrate a love story – though I would not spend a lifetime doing just that. Only simpletons believe that writing is a comfort. I have a loathing for serious people.

- Albert Cossery



I am not working very much for a new book . The urge is not there. I have said what I want to say. For us to say one or two ideas about the world, we do not need to write thirty volumes. An eighth book would be excessive...

- Albert Cossery



There is some distance between a novelist and an author. The novelist writes any story that comes to hand, while an author always write the same book. To me, for example, all my books are just one book. I have a concept of the world. The novelist usually attempts not to burden the reader or alter a particular idea he holds. A novelist does not change your life when you read his work, but an author does.

- Albert Cossery




(Quotes taken from this interview.)



.

1 comment:

Victoria Durnak said...

I will check this guy's books out. Will look into your writing as well. I saw you had added my blog as a follower, and I'm curious to know how you found it? -V